Benefits Underwriter - Tampa/Hybrid
- - Risk Underwiting
- Tampa, FL, USA
- Full Time
- Health, Dental, Vision, FSA, HSA, Short & Long term Disability, Voluntary Life, EAP, PTO, 401k & various other ancillary options
CoAdvantage is a leading human resource solutions provider for small to mid-sized companies. We are HR experts who partner with small businesses nationwide to administer payroll, benefits, workers' compensation and core HR management. Headquartered in Bradenton, Florida, CoAdvantage has offices throughout Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, California, North Carolina, New Jersey and New York, and serves more than 100,000 worksite employees in all 50 states. We're looking for the best professionals in our markets who are interested in building a successful and rewarding career and be part of a focused, energetic team dedicated to delivering excellence to America's small business owners.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, thorough, and organized Benefits Underwriter to join our growing team. As a Benefits Underwriter, your primary responsibility will be to review case submissions for insurance and evaluate the degree of risk. The ideal candidate for this position is astute, self-assured, decisive, and is able to complete tasks and make decisions independently.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform underwriting functions including underwriting submission reviews, pricing analysis, and setting of policy terms and conditions.
- Evaluate, classify and rate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage and pricing.
- Apply sound underwriting and business judgment in the timely analysis of group health applications, either approving or denying new business
- Partner with Actuarial Department to price specific accounts as needed.
- Liaise with Claims Department on any specific claim activity.
- Utilize knowledge of automated systems to develop information for new and renewal business.
- Partner with Sales Team to:
- Explain business decision on whether or not to underwrite proposals.
- Respond to questions from Business Consultants on quotes and benefits.
- Provide on-going training and guidance on what qualifies as good business.
- Mentor and train Junior Underwriters.
- Stay current with respect to major industry issues and developments.
- Have a sense of urgency around resolution and follow up in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with the entire team and escalate issues as appropriate.
- Take pride and ownership to provide service within the company established guidelines for timeliness, quality and effectiveness.
- Happily perform other duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience in the health insurance industry required
- Technical underwriting knowledge and skills reflective of progression in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Must strive to provide service levels that exceed industry standards and demonstrate teamwork across functional areas.
- Possess the aptitude to work in a highly competitive market, be innovative in business production and retention; be able to adapt to changing markets and internal requirements.
- Strong time management skills, being able to prioritize, and handle multiple tasks.
- Resourceful and results driven with strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products and internet research tools.
- Reviews new business prospect evaluations.
- Facilitates sales submission and quotation process associated with the PEO health insurance sales initiatives.
- Assesses degree of risk and exposure to individual client health insurance claims. Make selection and rejection decisions.
- Interacts with Sales to assure compliance with insurance carrier underwriting and group eligibility requirements.
- Acts as a liaison between the sales and service organizations, carrier and client to resolve routine questions and requests for information from the carrier.
- Provides product and industry technical support and expertise.
- Performs basic underwriting analysis, and calculations.
- Responds to questions and ad hoc requests from sales and other departments.
- Maintains the underwriting activity tracking log to ensure accuracy and completion of data fields.
- Compiles data from various sources to produce reports on underwriting activity, issues and trends.
- Audits the underwriting files periodically for accuracy and appropriate documentation.
Educational and Professional Licensing or Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred but will accept strong combination of experience and education